Monday, November 16, 2009

Special, yet ordinary people.

Remember when tv used to be fun? You know, splendid shows like 90210, Melrose Place, Sunset Beach, etc etc. They're brilliant. To me, they could almost be compared to Kafka, in the sense that nothing ever really happens, but every chapter is still every bit as intriguing and well written as the last. Anyway, today I finally figured out what those epic shows are actually about. They're not about nothing, in fact, that couldn't be further from the truth. If you think about it the next time you watch one of them, you'll realize it, too.

I know the shows are meant to portray ordinary people, who always manage to get themselves into tricky, yet exciting situations. That's what you're supposed to think. Maybe that's what the script writers think, too. But I know the truth. These shows are about a very specific, ancient type of people, that have only appeared a select few times throughout history. I'm talking about "people who don't walk straight into a room, but for some reason, stop for a couple of minutes just around the corner, to listen if their name is being mentioned in the other room, so that they can hear things that they would be better off not knowing". Those people.

I mean, who does that? Who stops for a while outside every room, to listen if their name is being mentioned. Since this happens all the time in every episode, it's impossible that it just happens by chance. I mean, the characters have to play the odds somehow. Don't get me wrong, I love all shows mentioned above, but they're supposed to be about normal people. And by "normal", I don't mean boring, I mean "not insane". How you'd even pitch a concept like this to a producer is beyond me.

"New shows. Brainstorming-time, come on."
"Sir, I have an idea that I think could be great."
"What is it?"
"Well, you know how, when you enter a room, you kind of just enter? Or maybe even knock?"
"Yes."
"Well, what if you didn't?"
"Didn't what?"
"Didn't just enter rooms. You stopped outside every single room to hear if anyone is saying bad things about you."
"Why would I do that? That's creepy.
"That's what makes the show unique, sir!"
"Wow, that sounds pretty dumb. Continue."

We all know where they went from there.


No comments: