Thursday, December 17, 2009

10 favourite albums of the 2000's

My friend just wrote a post about the fact that an actual decade is coming to an end. I hadn't thought about it before, but I think it might be true. She then proceeded to list her 10 favourite albums of this past decade, and you all know what I think about lists. They're pretty much the best thing ever, so I figured I'd do the same.

It wasn't until after I had started considering my options, that I realized how few great albums there are from this past decade? I realized how much the 2000's have been about great songs, rather than great albums. Some people might be offended because there's only one hip-hop album, but what exactly makes you think there should be more? Party hip-hop is stupid and conscious hip-hop is beyond boring. So, this is my top 10:

10. Beirut - Gulag Orkestar (2005)
I can't work and listen to music at the same time. I really wish I could. I can't even retouch or edit while listening to music. With the exception of a few, of course. Zach Condon's miserable wailing is one of the few things I can endure when I have to focus on something else. As such, I've listened to this album more than a few times since it came out.

9. N.E.R.D - In Search of... (2001)
The only hip-hop album on this list. I like it because it's actually funny, but to be honest, I've mainly included it for one reason: It might be the only hip-hop album that I can listen to in its entity, without thinking half-way through: "My God, this is so monotonous and and every second spent listening to this album is a second I will never get back." In short, this album is witty, original and amazing.

8. The Hives - Veni Vidi Vicious (2000)
I actually didn't listen to this album when it came out, but I've listened to it every week for a long time now. This album actually makes me feel cooler, just from listening to it. Even though nothing could be further from the truth.

7. The Streets - Original Pirate Material (2002)
The beats are awkward, you can't really relate to or understand what they're talking about, but for a while, I couldn't stop listening. Again, albums that are witty always make a strong impression on me.

6. AIR - Talkie Walkie (2004)
One of my favourite bands ever. Alone in Kyoto, Cherry Blossom Girl, Surfing On A Rocket, Alpha Beta Gaga. The list of great songs can be made very long. Maybe not very long, since the album only has 10 songs, but you know what I mean.

5. The Strokes - Is This It? (2001)
It might be a bit outdated at this point, but this is still the album that made this kind of music okay in my book. Whereas you can't do anything to music such as Drum N Bass, you can do everything to this album; study, party, make out, kill yourself etc etc.

4. Kings Of Convenience - Riot On An Empty Street (2004)
Me and Linus spent our entire high-school period listening to this album, along with the one listed at number two. It's one of those albums where I know all the lyrics, but I have no idea how.

3. Radiohead - Kid A (2000)
If there is one person in the world who's better
than Zac Condon or Anthony Hegarty at impersonating a dying whale , it's Thom Yorke. OK Computer is better, but since that came out in '97, I had to choose the next best thing. And this album is still a 10/10. OK Computer is a 24/10.

2. The Knife - Deep Cuts (2003)
This album is probably the one that made the strongest impression on me during the 2000's, and it could just as well have been number one. Every single song is amazing. I wanted to have "Silent Shout" on this list as well, but I felt that might be a bit excessive.

1. Daft Punk - Discovery (2001)
Probably the best album of electronic music ever? Future ones included?


I swear, if ONE person mentions Da Carter III, I'm moving to Mongolia and I'm never coming back. EVER.

5 comments:

emelie said...

fan att jag missade the knife, daft punk och air. jag glömmer bort att jag faktiskt kan ÄLSKA elektronisk musik ibland.

robmonZter said...

mm de är grymma men det är faktiskt snudd på omöjligt att göra en sådan här lista och inte glömma massa grejer

ghaz said...

DA CARTER III!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghaz said...

lol att verification-ordet tidigare var "stdss" HAH

ghaz said...

annars så är the streets-skivan, the knife och daft punk också troliga omnämningar i min lista, om jag hade orkat göra en fast lite ombytta platser.