Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I know it's relative, ok?

Two things are currently on my mind. One: Since my ipod broke, I need to compile a new studio playlist. This got me thinking about the criteria for a good studio playlist. Of course, this is something relative(which is what point two is about), but having a finely tuned studio playlist has always been very important to me. Especially when you're a person who doesn't know what he's doing in studio, and needs to win respect on other fronts when working in one. I've always been of the opinion that it should be a mix between songs that everyone knows and likes, guilty pleasures, new versions of old songs, and songs that nobody's heard of. It sounds easier than it is. Therefore, any suggestions are welcome.



The other thing I've been thinking about, is how much I despise when people answer random questions with "But that's relative, it's different from person to person". For instance, I really enjoy asking strange questions that are not related to anything or anyone. If you socialize with me, it's not uncommon for me to ask something like:

-So, If the world had to decide on a world capital, what would it be? Keep in mind cultural, economical, political arguments etc etc, and come up with a solution.
-Well, I don't know... I mean, that's relative. It's different from person to person, you know.

Do you take me for a fool? Is that it? Have you ever gotten the impression that I am a moron? It's pretty obvious that everyone has their own opinion, the point of the question is not to underline the fact that we all have different cerebral activities. The point is to argue and get try to get somewhere, even though the topic in itself is not relevant. When someone answers "It's relative" it must either mean that this dumb fail of an argument has worked in the past, that the person is a little bit dumb, or that he/she thinks it's not even worth discussing things that are not directly linked to our lives. Possibly all three.

It's like when you ask someone what their favorite song/movie is, and they say "I can't say, there are just too many". Seriously, just.name.one. Please. It's as if you think I'm going to judge your entire character, simply because you said your favorite movie is Reservoir Dogs. Loving film so much that you can't name your favorite one, does not make you cultivated. It makes you a coward.

So, if you want to be my friend, just walk up and ask me something like, "If you could combine any two animals, which would they be, and why?" If you don't want to be my friend, I can understand that too.

5 comments:

Jenn said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36qxBpjOJUo
recommend,
and still waiting an answer which two combined animals do you think conquer the world.

robmonZter said...

yeah that was good!

wait, so the question is: which two combined animals could conquer the world? or should conquer the world?

Anonymous said...

Lion & veliciraptor

robmonZter said...

haha i don't know if velociraptors are animals, but i like how you think.

Unknown said...

Haha does it matter? Haven't you seen jurrasic park? They are crazy smart and can open doors..