Monday, February 15, 2010

Internet vs Ellen.



I remember reading that Ellen Von Unwerth(At least I think it was her) once said that it was way harder for her generation to make it as photographers. To me, that is bona fide bullshit. Granted, it was harder getting your images out there without the internet, but the competition was way less stiff, considering that the advertising market was moving away from illustrations and into photography. Plus, with today's snapshots making into Vogue, who even needs a light meter anymore? I know I don't use one. I'm not saying it was much easier then, I'm just saying that was a stuck-up thing to say. And I haven't even mentioned the fact that this woman was a model for 10 years before even venturing into fashion photography. Gee, I wonder if she had any connections in the fashion industry after 10 years on a runway? Von Unwerth is definitely a legit photographer, but that was still a dumb statement. Speaking of dumb, these are five photographers that should have known better:

5. Hedi Slimane - One of the greatest menswear designers decided to take about one thousand steps back and become a bad photographer. Everyone likes a challenge, I guess.
4. Mario Testino - I just think it's boring.
3. Karl Lagerfeld - Some people should just stick to what they know. His pictures have less character than a gold fish.
2. Rankin - His pictures make me want to eat my own head, just so I can't ever see them again.
1. David LaChappelle - Unlike Tim Walker, who uses props to create dream-like scenarios, David LaChappelle's pictures are just tacky and unattractive. Plus, he uses celebrities to create shock value, a manoeuvre clearly engineered to cover up for his total lack of talent.

The good thing about the internet, is that it's really easy finding cool photos. I could find 5 new, talented people every time I go on the internet, if I wanted to. Here are some cool photographers that I've stumbled across(including the one at the top of the post):








pics: click images

2 comments:

Lisa said...

du glömde terry richardson. HATAR honom.

robmonZter said...

jag gjorde en topp 10 från början och han var nummer sex, så han räknas nästan med på den här listan.